Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Family News and a Recipe

Family pictures make me laugh.  My Mom took this one of us on Christmas Eve, I was reminded that procrastinating is never a good thing and well, getting a family picture done on the Eve before Christmas is a sure way to not hand out Christmas cards (grin).  

And when I look at this picture I'm reminded that by the time we need to think about family pictures for a Christmas card in 2013 there will be another baby in our family.  July 2013, DV, we will be welcoming baby number 4 into our family.  The kids reactions were quite hilarious.  Kaylin jumping up and down, running to gather all her dolls to practice holding a baby, Jacob nodding and staring at my tummy very thoughtfully, and Maddie.  She shrugged her shoulders, said "o-tay" and walked away. 



We've hit the second trimester and I'm thankful that, although the nausea remains I'm no longer as sick as I was.  I'm also thankful that the kids always let me catch a 20 minute nap at some point in the day. 

And now a recipe... 

A friend introduced me to a new chili recipe, which is by far one of the best that I have ever made/had. Its made my list of good dinners to pass on to other families.  I add some fresh rolls and some baking.  I've had good reviews from this recipe and although I don't have pictures (the last three times I made it I forgot) I'm sharing it. 

Ladle me Red (from the Looneyspoons recipe collection)
1 1/2 lbs of extra lean ground beef ( I use 2lbs usually)
2tsp of minced garlic
1 cup each of diced celery, green bell pepper and red onion *note1*
1 1/2 tbsp of chili powder
1 1/2 tsp EACH of ground cumin, and dried oregano
1 tsp of ground coriander
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1 can of (19oz/540ml) diced tomato undrained (you can use a large can if you want)
1 can (14oz/398ml) tomato sauce (I prefer low sodium)
1 cup of beef broth (again low sodium)
1/4 cup chopped celery leaves 
1 tbsp of hickory flavored bbq sauce (or whatever bbq sauce you have on hand)
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed (19oz/540ml)
1 can of beans in tomato sauce 
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (I skip this - our family does not love the taste of coriander)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (if I don't have it in the house I skip this as well)
2 tsp of liquid honey

* Cook beef and garlic in a large, deep, non stick skillet or pot over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink. Stir in the celery, onion and green pepper. Cook and stir for about 3 minutes, or until veggies start to soften


* Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander and black pepper. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, celery leaves, and bbq sauce. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20minutes, stirring occasionally


*Add beans and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro, lime juice and honey. Serve hot.



Enjoy your weekend all! 






11 comments:

  1. Another baby! WOOHOO! I'm getting a kick out of the kiddo's reactions, and thanks for the recipe! I'll give it a shot next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of your kids reactions. And thanks for the chili recipe. I've been looking for a good one and I'm going to give this one a try, maybe even tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is exciting news! Gefeliciteerd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Drew and Linds! Sounds like Kaylin is going to be a great little helper for you. Have you tried to make this chill using a crockpot? Just wondering if I could brown the meat and veggies and then throw everything in the crock pot the night before, so all I had to do the next morning was turn it on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie - this recipe I have not tried in the crockpot, but I'm positive it would work great. I always let mine simmer for a few hours on the stove and its always better the longer it cooks. Next time I was going to try it in the crockpot.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations again!!!!! So exciting and what a blessing to have a fourth baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeeep! Just now reading this! So excited for y'all, that's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, I love the picture, and congrats in the new baby! How exciting! Your kids' reactions were so cute too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh your family is so sweet and you will have another addition!! congrats

    ReplyDelete
  9. here's a belated congratulations!! i am so happy for your family... it's only going to get more beautiful with a new baby. many blessings and i hope you are feeling good!!!

    ReplyDelete