Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

New Testament vs the Old Testament

I've been lazy in my devotions. I tend to flip to the New Testament thinking its more relevant than the old. Our family devotions are distracting to me, I'm busy folding little hands and little arms, teaching these little people to sit still and show obedience. And I miss out on really listening to the Lords words.

To change this I started studying Samuel in the mornings, going through the stories that we are taught as children and so quickly become fuzzy when you don't keep it up. I forgot how meaningful it is. To see the mistakes and disobedience of the kings of Israel, so easy to understand why they were done. This morning I read the story of when the Lord commands Saul to destroy all the Amalekites and everything within their city. To take back nothing. And Saul does destroy most, but keeps the best of the livestock, of "everything that was good". And when confronted by Samuel Saul sounds confused and replies "But I did obey the Lord...I went on the mission the Lord assigned me. I completely destroyed the Amalekites and brought back Agag their king. The soldier took shep and cattle from plunder, the best of what was devoted to God, in order to sacrifice them to the Lord your God at Gilgal".

How often do we do this? We know what the Lords commands of us and yet we think perhaps we know better? Our excuses are I'm doing it for the Lord but in reality its for selfish reasons. How often do we push back devotions and prayer for something else. We have time for family, for the kids, for friends even for church events. We do extra things for others and push the Lord back. For we are doing these things to please Him and yet it is so easy to take for granted the words He has given us. This morning I was reminded that our FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT task is to put HIM first. When I do my devotions I am never disapointed. And yet I push it aside. And we learn from the "ancient" stories of the old testament. We learn from seeing the disobedience of God's children. And we are blessed to have these reminders that teach us that obedience is in doing what the Lord says. Not what we think He wants.

1 comment: