Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

I'm tired. Its been a cold, dreary weather week and we're all showing the signs of that. Spring can't seem to come fast enough. Motivation is difficult to come by these days as the mountains of laundry and the diaper changes never seem to end. Although i should know by now that they won't end..:) Such a cold dreary week that we turned to pea soup and fresh hot cornbread last night for a comfort meal and to make us warm.

We've tried to make the most of the weather, but the cold grey skies have a way of seeping through all attempts to ignore them. I think even the dog is sick of it.



Yes, we have a dog. Before we had kids we thought it was a wonderful idea. I wanted a little dog, Drew wanted a big dog. He showed me a puppy....I fell in love. You see, I had babies on my mind and well puppies tug at the same emotions. We found out we were pregnant shortly after.

She is a good dog. Fantastic with kids. My jogging partner who helped me get into shape after Kaylin and then after Jacob. She lets me listen to my music while I pound the cement while protecting me while I jog. After Jacob was born we would go early in the morning, before Drew left for work and before Kaylin tumbled out of bed. Last summer she would come with us to the park and settle under a tree, watching the kids. When someone approaches the kids she quietly stands between the stranger and the stroller. No aggressions, simply to show that she is with them. But with baby number 3 my patience runs out quickly with her. It is difficult for with each baby there is less time for her. I heard Kaylin yelling at the dog yesterday, I cringed and realized she was copying me. Being and example is difficult. Showing your children to love and respect animals is important, they are God's creatures as well.


Kaylin with Cheyanne

I was reminded that our children watch everything we do. Even in seemingly little things like a family pet becoming the scapegoat and being yelled at. Having kids can sometimes be like having someone tape your worst moments. They copy and they replay things you say and the things you do.


Its shameful sometimes to hear what you sound like through the mouths of a 4 year old or a 2 year old. And I was reminded that in all things we need to show Gods love, for eachother, for the animals and for the world HE has created. I am an example for my kids, even in the seemingly little things like yelling at a dog. Or perhaps its not such a little thing when you hear or see a child being cruel to an animal?

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for your dreary winter days...hopefully spring is just around the corner! I think it's typical for mom's to get tired of pets...one more creatures needs to meet and you already are taking care of four people! But as you said, they are God's creatures and need to be treated well.

    ReplyDelete