Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fun Stuff

Thanks to pinterest (which I completely love and don't know how to say...) I found this activity for kids.  Baking soda on a plate, an eye dropper and a wee bit of vinegar.  Using food colouring we coloured the vinegar (the cups in the picture are our painting cups, cut down for a less likely spill).  The kids had a riot, and I could get a good bit of dinner cooked.   The best thing...all of it I had in the house!


 And I didn't have to sit with them, although I did for awhile, it was so cool that I waited in anticipation  for my turn.  I'm not sure we ever grow up......  

And when they started asking questions about why these mini volcanoes happen, and it became apparent that I slept my way through grade 10 chemistry, I just grabbed extra food colouring and distracted them by "what happens if I add yellow to the blue."  You can do that too, or you can just google it first.....I should have done THAT.


Try it, if your kids are younger then 4 you might need to sit with them, and not cook dinner, Jacob was fine cause he had his big sister in charge, but if it was just Jacob......well I would have had to be there for every second of the eruptions.


The kids liked it so much in fact, that when Daddy came home they did it again after dinner.  And it was easy to clean-up, and kept them busy for awhile....


Here's to fun activities for kids that are not to messy and don't require an extra shopping trip!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! Thanks! And yes, pinterest is mostly fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...great idea! Will hold onto it for when Cora is a little older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a genius idea. wow. love it. must try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun! We'll have to try this with the oldest, I think he'd get a kick out of it. I totally cracked up about your distracting them with food color instead of googling why it works. Haha, I would have done the same thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete