Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Moments Like This

I still have yet to sit down and sip wine with hubby but the busy week is slowly coming to an end.  And then life will be as it was.  I think.  Perhaps it never will be slow but there are moments to grab and enjoy.  Like now, when the baby is sleeping and the other two are pouring over Christmas flyers and I hear Jacob inform Kaylin "we can't get EVERYTHING, we can only LOOK". and I'm comforted that my words of yesterday stuck somehow, even though at the time it felt like I wasting my breath.  Greed.  Its in us.  In kids who think hard of toys that if received will lay tossed in the corner after a week.  In parents who dream of new phones and cars and furniture.  When I think of greed I think of landfills.  Full of things that at one time were deemed so important, sought after and now have been reduced to rubbish, forgotten.

And we head into Christmas, trying to teach the children by example that Christmas is so much MORE than new toys and new shiny things.  And all we can do is live by example.  To show them what it means to be thankful, thankful for the worn out coffee table that needs to be replaced, rather than talking only of a new one.  For the kitchen that is desperate for a new coat of paint, for the van that carries us around and is showing signs of age.  To see us not longing after the things in the shiny flyers, but just looking for fun, for there is a difference.

And this week was a bit rough, but we survived.  And in the moments of the sibling bickering that has started there are moments like this.


When I find them laying squished side by side, Kaylin reading a story and Jacob's face showing the traces of dinner.



And then they see the camera and they giggle and laugh, and the feuding over toys earlier has been forgotten.


And this makes my heart glad!

Happy Thursday :)

2 comments:

  1. yes, i concur... i'm ever so thankful for the sweet sibling moments. they somehow make the bickering more bearable and remind me to show them grace! cute and sweet pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweeties! I was just trying to figure out the whole contentment thing as well - do I throw the flyers out before they hit the counter, or do I let the kids have fun paging through them? We've been having fun mailing out some toys to friends, and that's helped their hearts significantly. Oh, the ongoing battle for both ours and our kids hearts! Love you!

    ReplyDelete