Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Silence

The teeth have been brushed, hands and faces cleaned, stories read and bodies tucked into bed.  And the house is wonderfully silent.  Something that has been rare these days.  I baked and listened to classical music, normally I save the baking for the mornings, a fun activity for the kids. I measure and they pour.  



Kaylin sneaks chocolate chips when my back is turned and I sometimes leave it turned a bit longer to give Jacob a chance to sneak some too.  They take turns holding the mixer and they fight over who held it the longest.  But sometimes, on nights like this I feel like my kitchen is calling me to work in silence.  To mix and pour myself.  Its therapeutic for me, I thought of how thankful I am to have a husband who finds time to play with these kids.  Who will lay on the couch and tickle and let them jump on him.  They need this time but I know he does to, sometimes I think, even more than them.


I love our crazy, loud, chaotic home.  I love that these silent nights come at the exact moment when they are needed.


I love watching them laugh and giggle while they play with "Daddy".  Jacob is hard to take pictures of, he wanted his hammer in the picture so badly.


Today Kaylin had a dentist appointment.  I was asked what I do, I responded with the usual, I'm at home.  I was asked if enjoy this.  And for the first time I didn't feel offended.  I get asked so often, in a tone that implies I must either be crazy or uneducated.  Instead of getting offended I simply replied to her that I love it.  And I could tell that she believed me.


That despite the bags under my eyes, the fact that I had baby spit up on my shoes and traces of marker on my hands and that i was fumbling through my purse looking for my debit card, she believed me. 

And that made my day.  



2 comments:

  1. What a sweet family! When daddy comes home the day just gets better:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby spit and digging through a soother-stuffed purse are beautiful things, and isn't it wonderful when someone believes you??? Sad that it's not appreciated more. Love the smiling, giggling faces... love you guys!

    ReplyDelete