Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

When your called to open your doors wide

When Drew and I made conscious effort to start opening our doors to our neighbors, never would I have imagined how wide the LORD would ask us to open them. 

We opened them a sliver, and soon we had neighbor kids knocking at the door.  The door opened a little wider and we joined some of the moms at the park.


Then the single mom of 3 down our street had to rush her 5 year old to the hospital with a burst appendix.  With no-one to help her care for her other 2 she called a friend from our church, a contact she had a slight connection with.  A phone call and two hours later we shuffled rooms and opened our doors even wider for her 2 year old to stay with us for a night, until she could arrange something. 

One night became 5 nights, until her Mom was able to fly in and take over.  Just as I thought I couldn't keep going, by day 3 a phone call came through.  Another friend from church was able to take him for the day, and then another friend the next day.  He played well with their children and our home became his home base.  Then a meal was dropped off at our house.  I was at the receiving end of the help from our church family while normally I'm the one organizing it.


The LORD reminded me last week of the communion of saints, the family and friends who rally around and help those who need help.  He reminded me to not take for granted the support that we have, the relationships, the constant reminder that we are not alone.  I was reminded to not become bitter at the busyness that this can make, the busyness of family gatherings and church functions.  If I'm honest I will admit that when I got that phone call I didn't want to do it. I didn't want to have the responsibility of another child, I had a large to-do list that week.  It wasn't about what I wanted, it was about a need that had to be filled, and you know what, it ended up being a huge blessing for all of us.

It was beautiful.  This little boy who stayed with us tugged at our heart strings, he followed Drew around and copied everything he did.  We saw Jacob in a different light, a boy who is quickly growing and who so willingly and eagerly moved his stuff around to give up his room.  My sister-in-law stepped in and took Kaylin for a day so she could get out of the house and enjoy some time watching her cousins' swimming lessons and going to the library. Time away from the chaos that our house was last week.  Kaylin came home with one book, a book she found for Jacob, to include him in her day out.  We saw the kids serving eachother.


It was not an easy week, it was tiring and yesterday was a bit of a melt-down day for all of us.  A day of quiet and nothing going on, a day that gave us a chance to stop.  Its not easy to open your doors for those around you, and yet the whole neighborhood witnessed something special.  Of a whole church community coming and going, picking this little boy up and bringing him to his mom and to see a doctor the morning after a croup attack.  They saw a whole team rally around this little boy, a child they had never met and I've had neighbors asking, why?

Actions speak louder than words and I was reminded of this last week.  Suddenly the list of things I wanted to accomplish last week really didn't matter.  It didn't matter that our house was a bit of mess, that I was behind on laundry, that I never choose the paint for our bedroom, that I never made it to the store to find something new to wear to church.  What did matter was giving this little boy a stable home to sleep, what did matter was showing our children that to serve others was not only when we wanted to, or when it worked for us, but when they landed on our doorstep and we had to make it work.

I'm thankful this week that life is back to "normal", that over the weekend we were able to celebrate my brother-in-law's 30th birthday, the baptism of my new niece.  I found myself surrounded by family for two days,  I cuddled with both the new babies in our family and I was thankful.  So completely and wonderfully thankful for the family and friends around me.


4 comments:

  1. So often we take our friends and (more importantly) our family for granted. It's a wonderous thing to be His hands and feet extended...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this Lindsey. An example of how God uses his people to do good. I hope this might open the mom up to the gospel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful thing to model to your kids! And they get the blessing of witnessing what 'storing up treasures in heaven' looks like, and a love that 'bears all things, hopes all things, endures all things.' These actions are speaking loudly to the family, the neighborhood, your children - adorning the Gospel with great beautiful acts. Praying for you and your kiddos, and the family that was affected. And so thankful that you also got to be on the receiving end of the communion of saints in little ways.... love you! Beautiful/challenging post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. doors wide open are such a blessing. to you and them. amen!

    ReplyDelete