Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Giving Thanks - Part 1

Thanksgiving found us in a rather rustic cottage.  We've fallen in love with the cabins in Allegany State Park.  They offer enough necessities(stove/fridge/heating) for my sanity to remain but remain rustic enough(no running water/bathroom) for my camping spirit.  Its a win-win and its a holiday that suits our family.

Away from all distractions, all people, all everything and it was just us. And it was good.  Very good.  We hiked and every time I looked through the camera lens I saw God's creation in a way that I have forgotten to enjoy.  To just breath and see the beauty present all around, its a gift.  I'm a city-dweller so these moments surrounded by nature is refreshing, energizing. 


Breathtaking views.


 Forests that positively glowed in colour.




I've always surrounded myself by people, thrived with having people around me. Even in high school I would often do my best studying right at our kitchen table with the flow of family around me. Now, I'm finding myself more and more craving silence.  Thriving away from people.  And I've discovered there is very much room for both.  For being surrounded and for being alone.  For giving and for reflecting.  For being there and for being absent.


Being alone with my family gave me the chance to see that my priorities have become a bit scattered. I was reminded that seeking approval from others is meaningless.  Lately, I have been too preoccupied in the opinions of those around me, and in that preoccupation I have neglected to care what my Heavenly Father sees. 


I have found myself overwhelmed in the roles I've been called to, my roles as wife, mother, sister, friend, daughter.  I catch myself struggling with trying to do all of them well, and its hard, at times impossible.  Then standing on a hiking trail, surrounded by nature I was reminded that when I strip away all my roles in life there is one that is unchanging, I am still a child of God.  And suddenly everything seemed to be simple again.  Not easy, but simple in a way that my life is not my own and it is to serve Him, first and foremost.  Above all roles, in everything I do. 


In the business of life this is quickly and easily forgotten.  Being busy in church, in school, with people, these can be good things.  But they can also take over.  And a reminder to just step back, breath and pray is good.  A reminder that life is not a competition over who is busiest, who decorates their home the nicest, who is the best mom, whose marriage is strongest, who makes the best chocolate cake.  These competitions are there because I let them be there.  Our world is broken and our lives will reflect that, but it is in giving over everything to God that we can be made whole.  And the lyrics of a song stand out to me, "when its all been said and done, did I do my best to live for truth? Did I live my life for you?".


Soon I'll share many pictures of our 4 days away, but today I wanted to give you an idea of the beauty that I saw, the beauty of creation that was such a blessing for me and hopefully for you as well.

"When its all been said and Done" by Robin Marks, you can listen to it here.

When it's all been said and done
There is just one thing that matters
Did I do my best to live for truth?
Did I live my life for you?

When it's all been said and done
All my treasures will mean nothing
Only what I have done
For love's rewards
Will stand the test of time

Lord, your mercy is so great
That you look beyond our weakness
That you found purest gold in miry clay
Turning sinners into saints

I will always sing your praise
Here on earth and in Heaven after
For you've joined me at my true home
When  it's all been said and done
You're my life when life is gone


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures...how I miss those colorful maple trees in the fall. Nothing like them!

    So glad you were able to have time to reflect. God is so good to constantly remind us that our happiness and our contentment can only be found in glorifying Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Linds, one of my theme songs for life (playing it full-blast coming home from evening shifts from Shalom so many years ago)!! I still sing that song in my head, after a busy day, a busy shift, a frustrating day,.. and it gives peace. When it's all been said and done.... And so we continue to make choices in life, making sure that when it's all been said and done we have done the best to live for truth, knowing with confidence that He has found purest gold in miry clay, and He has turned me, a sinner, into a saint! And when it's all been said and done, it is all so very simple, isn't it?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautful post Linds, well said! You are an inspiration!
    love ya tons for it,Steff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words, beautiful pictures. Thank you for this blessed reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if being surrounded by our littles, and hearing 'mommy...' 92x/day makes us crave silence more. There is so much external noise that it's easy for the heart to get noisy as well. So thankful that you got some time away for peace and refreshment!

    ReplyDelete