Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The morning that started over 2x

At one point this morning, long before my coffee was even made, I threw up my hands and shouted "back to your rooms EVERYONE!".  In this house that means exactly that, we all head to our rooms, myself included.  Then quietly one door opens, usually Jacob first for Kaylin is much too cautious, and he says smiling "morning mommy".  Then Kaylin pokes her head out and seeing the coast is clear joins us. 

I've learned that bad days when you have little ones at home, and its raining outside, usually continue on that cycle until it breaks.  And in our case, its me who needs to intentionally get that cycle to stop.  And we start over.  Wipe the slate clean. Think yelling children badly in need of a Kleenex if you need a visual.


And as a Mom I need to be intentional about what I do.  No, not every moment is spent with me entertaining my children, I encourage lots of individual play time.  I like that the kids see me busy with other things, but there are days when my focus, my attention needs to be directed on them.  In our home its the day after a day-care day, after a school day.


And this morning, after start-over #2, it helped.  I made a big show of shutting down the computer and declared the much needed us day.  Which in our house means the stack of library books comes out, we play-doh and colour, we bake cookies.  No phone conversations or computer time and the morning is ours.  By carving out some intentional one on one time the mood is quick to shift.


Today we had two little friends join us and it was fun, loud and chaotic.  The sugar cookie dough was brought to the table and the kids happily stamped their hearts out.  And now they are napping, except Kaylin who is engaging Strawberry Shortcake and Lemon Meringue in a game.  And the computer can make its presence known as I'm in sore need of a break and there is no fighting for my attention.  Its exhausting this intentional mothering.


So, carpe diem, even if that simply means colouring and listening to Steve Green's Hide 'em in your Heart cd.



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, a great peek into a normal day, and gorgeous pics, Linds! You paint a wonderful image of a very normal 'off-day', and it is encouraging to know we can always re-start the day when we make the intentional effort to do so. Sounds like you had a good day after all!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. we all need time to re-adjust our attitudes. sometimes me more than them! i will remember that it is totally okay to do so first thing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you need to start over...I do too! Many times, sometimes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true Linds, thanks for this! xo

    ReplyDelete