Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Adventures in a Grocery Cart

If grocery carts could talk...the things they would tell us! Once a week I pack the kids up to do groceries. Some weeks I take a break and wait until their in bed, and go with a coffee in one hand. I loved going with the kids, until Jacob turned 1..since that big day its been a series of eggs thrown out of carts, apples dumped out, squished bread. Kaylin asking "Mommy, are you going to hurt me when I get home". What do you say? I give her my sternest Mother face and say "sit on your bum!" and ignore the questions she asks. I take them not because its easy but because its a part of teaching them. Teaching them to sit quietly, to listen, to not get what they want. And they are improving. Kaylin has become a terrific little helper. She counts out the apples for me, and has even graduated from sitting in the buggy to sometimes walking alongside.

Jacob, well he is a handful but I discovered something that makes him sit still and smile. I simply say "Jacob, wheres the ball?". The tears dry, the frown becomes a smile and I hear "ball", said with a bit of a French accent. "Ball" he repeated every two seconds and he spent the next 40 minutes looking for one. I felt a bit guilty, but once got to the van pulled out the trusty favorite toy from the floor and gave it to him. I wonder how long this will last?

I gather the courage to face the stores with them, but when we get home I need to do the task that is my LEAST favorite. I detest it, but it needs to be done. The unloading, the cleaning of the fridge and the putting away of the food. This is what happens when the kids help. Its rather self-explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment